For anticipation loss or destruction the configuration of a managed switch, we should backup the configuration, so if a problem occurs, we can easily restore or copy the configuration file into a new equipment.
For HP ProCurve Networking (switches ProCurve 2910, 2510 series, etc.), one of the way to backup and restore is done through a serial port rs 232, using a hyper terminal connection.
Step by step Backup
Assumptions, Switch has been connected to the computer using a serial cable and use the hyper terminal and logged in as a manager (administrator)
• Type : copy startup-config xmodem pc then hit the enter key
• Click on the Transfer menu and then select Receive File
• Browse the location to save the file
• On use receiving protocol select xmodem protocol
• Click on Receive, Write the name of the backup file, click OK
The Process backup is finish.
Step by step to Restore the configuration
Assumptions, Switch has been connected to the computer using a serial cable using hyper terminal and login as a manager (administrator)
• Type : copy xmodem startup-config pc then hit the enter key, there will be a warning device require a reboot, then select Y
• Click on the Transfer menu and then select Send File
• Browse and navigate to the file that will be used for restoring
• On the protocol, select xmodem and then click Send.
The switch then will restart automatically.
To see the new configuration in the switch, login again, and type: sh run then hit Enter key.